A friend and client sent me this in an email the other day, so I dont have a ready attribution, however it is such highly practical advice for a bit more balance in your life that I wanted to share:
Practicing mindfulness in any of many ways will help you with your energy, balance, and a sense of empowerment and meaning in your life. You also need to focus on setting yourself up for success – take this simple audit to discover what you can implement, one step at a time to help bring you to balance.
Enabling Mindfulness and Personal Energy Audit (Answer True or False)
- I don’t regularly get at least 7 hours of sleep and /or I often wake up feeling tired
- I frequently skip breakfast or I settle for something that isn’t particularly healthy
- I don’t do cardiovascular training at lest three times a week and strength training at least twice a week
- I don’t take regular breaks during the day to renew and recharge
- I often eat lunch at my desk if I eat lunch at all
- I frequently find myself feeling irritable, impatient or anxious at work especially when demand is high
- I don’t have enough time with my family and loved ones and when i ‘m with them I’m not always really with them
- I take too little time for the activities that I most deeply enjoy
- I rarely stop to express my appreciation to others or to savor and celebrate my accomplishment s and blessings
- I often feel that my life is just a relentless set of demands I’m expected to meet and task I have to complete
- I have difficulty focusing on one thing at a time and I’m easily distracted during the day especially be email
- I spend much of my time reacting to immediate demands rather than focusing on activities with longer term value and leverage
- I don’t take enough time for reflection strategizing and thinking creatively
- I rarely have any time when my mind is quiet and free of thoughts
- I often work on evenings and weekends and or I rarely take an email free vacation
- I don’t feel passionately committed to what I do
- I spend too little time at work doing what I do best and enjoy most
- There are significant gaps between what I say is important in my life and how I actually live
- My decision at work are often more influence by external demands than by a strong clear sense of my own purpose
- I don’t invent enough time and energy in making positive difference to others and or in the world
As a guideline, if more than 10 of these statements are TRUE, then it’s definitely time to implement some positive change in your life.
HOW TO IMPLEMENT POSITIVE ACTION
Pick just ONE item that was TRUE for you and implement the positive alternative behavior. Just one item is important: lasting change happens one step at a time - by defining for yourself one specific action you can commit to and practice for 30 days straight then you can create a new habit in your life.
You can pick another action item after you have done and celebrated achieving the first one!