To put it simply it is about creating companies where people want to work.
Yes, if you have been around a while, this got a lot of focus early in the previous decade and some companies even got it right, then GFC and after that continuous restructuring and change.
The almost total lack of focus on the drivers of engagement for nearly 5 years now and the consequences are painful, on average at least 2/3 or more of your employees would get out now if they could.
The remedies are in four big areas, linked to the culture demonstrated by leaders of an organisation and the current lack of leadership skills to do something better;
- learn how to enable people to self-lead their achievments with a strong focus on doing constructive feedback really well so people know how to do better,
- leaders need to know how to create and demonstrate a real employee brand promise and a culture where people can feel their work has purpose and meaning,
- create a leadership culture that coaches and develops people's careers and where employees ideas and opinions are sought on a daily basis to build autonomy and a solutions mind-set,
- give meaningful recognition and praise continuously, this actually means that someone says thank you regularly and demonstrates that they actually mean it.
There is a new end-to-end process:
- Brand promise in the market place,
- Social hiring, connecting and creating long term relationships with anyone who engages with your brand,
- Visible values and culture people can self-select for,
- Testing for values, attitude and mindfulness,
- Evaluating transferable skills and learning ability,
- Competency evaluations,
- Creating incredible engagement from day one,
- Building employee self-leadership for onboarding,
- Creating a management skill set to develop transferable capabilities.
All this and more - the knock on impact is the end of the traditional recruitment industry, the elimination of search fees and first year attrition below 1%.
Deploy real experiential learning in a disributed organistion across multiple markets and cultures.
The pressure is on to create targetted learning opportunites for every employee, think MOOCs internally and your heading in the right direction. More than this, its real world activity based learning and coaching that is the true remedy - a remedy that implemented well, with key best practices can deliver learining for an entire employee base at a dramitically lower cost per person than traditional development approaches and one that can lead into the transforation of an organisation's culture to enable true innovation and collaboration to create an exceptional customer experience.