Forget the headhunters. Dead wood in a dying forest.
There is probably a short list of companies that you would want to work for, or at least a top 5-10 and then within that only 1 or 2 roles in each - and so you want to meet the specific person who will one day be hiring each of those positions - your own networking and reaching out to people who will know someone who knows that person is the way to go.
1. Start with your best top 5 companies of choice.
2. Use your linkedin and google to identify the people who probably employ the job you want - ie your future boss.
3. See who you know, who knows someone. who may know them!
4. Create a short 1/3 page pdf profile of you with 3 key elements:
a. A title. (the create the title, imagine yourself two years into the job you want, and from that perspective complete the statement "I am...." and that is the title of your profile)
b. The benefits of you. 1-2 paragraphs on what you bring to the role, from their perspective, how will they benefit from employing you
c. A bullet point list of 2-4 major achievements in the last 2 (max 3) years - for each point use SAR or PAR (situation/problem, action, result) - make the results $'s, %'s or #'s if you can
(this profile also becomes the top of your linkedin page and the top of your CV (later on))
5. Approach the people you know from 3. for advice. Get their advice and also contact details, then reach out and connect to the next level, seeking advice only and sharing your profile from 4, your objective is to get a meeting only. (CRITCAL POINT = if someone says: "I will introduce you.." you must say "NO, relax let me do that for you" and get the contact details and connect yourself. You must leave your contact with no action items! Vital to remove all sense of obligation. If they don’t have the contact details let them off the hook. You can find that person yourself later on)
6 Approach the new contacts in the same way, seeking advice and sharing your profile. When meeting new contacts, listen for advice, share your passion and enthusiasm and drop the odd achievement in (in the form of anecdote)
7 Eventually get the perfect role.
Visit us at www.nolimitsasia.com